At Bolder Academy, our Art curriculum is designed to develop our students into kind, strong, brave young adults where a Bolder future awaits.
The aims of the Art Curriculum
The aims of the Art curriculum are to:
- Engage, inspire, challenge students - equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art.
- Develop students’ critical thinking and ability to respond and self-express.
- Appreciate how art and design reflects and shapes our history and, contribute to our culture.
How we deliver Art
Bolder Academy follows the national curriculum. Students have one hour a week of art in KS3.
Students in Art are taught:
- To produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- To use a range of techniques and to become proficient at recording their observations.
- To analyse and evaluate their own work and that of others.
- The history of art, design and architecture including periods, styles and major movements. This also includes knowing about great artists, craft makers and designers.
Students become proficient in the handling of different materials. For example, through the teaching of traditional and contemporary processes such as drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics, photography, graphics and textiles.
Our Intended Impact in Art
We will know if we have been successful when our students live and breathe our three core values within the Academy and beyond. When they demonstrate:
- Kindness: By having a sensitivity to analyse and evaluate their own work and that of others. By having an appreciation of a variety of art forms created by people across different cultures and eras.
- Strength: By being proficient in using a range of techniques, processes and media and, the confidence to select the appropriate sequence of tasks to create thoughtful, meaningful and refined works of art.
- Bravery: Knowing the importance of embracing the unknown, taking risks and opening their minds to a variety of perspectives on what constitutes art. This also includes the appreciation of conceptual elements of art as well as the visual.
Equally we want to prepare students effectively for the current and next stage in their learning, whether this be GCSE or A Level examination, University study or the world of work.
Bolder Art Gallery
This is a virtual exhibition space where we share our Bolder artistic talent.
See what our pupils have been up to in class and at home.
Be bold, be creative! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enter your work.