Food, Design and Technology
Design and Technology at Bolder
At Bolder Academy, our Design and Technology curriculum is designed to develop our students into kind, strong, brave young adults where a Bolder future awaits.
The aims of the Design and Technology Curriculum
The Design and Technology curriculum aims to:
- Design and make products that solve real and relevant problems.
- Acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art and design when problem solving.
How we deliver Design and Technology
Bolder Academy follows the national curriculum, and delivers DT lessons with one lesson per week. Students receive a series of lessons on Resistant Materials, Textiles and Food & Nutrition.
Students are taught to:
- Identify and solve their own design problems.
- Select from and use specialist tools, techniques, processes, equipment and machinery precisely, including computer-aided manufacture.
- Design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and, the work of others.
- Analyse the work of past and present professionals and others to develop and broaden their understanding.
In addition, students are taught in Food and Nutrition:
- The principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Cook a range of dishes so that they are able to feed themselves and others a healthy and varied diet.
- Become competent in a range of cooking techniques.
- Understand the source, seasonality and characteristics of a broad range of ingredients.
Our Intended Impact in Design and Technology
We will know if we have been successful when our students live and breathe our three core values within the Academy and beyond. When they demonstrate:
- Kindness: By having a sensitivity to analyse and evaluate their own work and that of others.
- Strength: By being proficient in a range of techniques, to create thoughtful, meaningful products and food.
- Bravery: By taking risks and trialing new ideas when creating their pieces of work.
Equally, we want to prepare students effectively for the current and next stage in their learning, whether this be GCSE or A Level examination, University study or the world of work.
Bolder Bites Videos
Food Technology Videos